Allergies, far from being any sort of disorder, is our body’s way of showing us that a part of our diet is not being taken well by it, and it must be avoided. Such is the case with milk—one must remember that milk has a high percentage of casein in it, and the percentage of it varies in different dairy products. Cheese contains 80% casein proteins and the rest 20% is why that is left when the milk sours up. The harder the cheese is, the more the case is. So, if you come across anyone who has this kind of allergy, it is just because the milk he or she is having does not suit them.
How milk allergy occurs
The thing with milk allergies is that about two to three percent of the babies have milk allergy when they are born, but most of them grow a resistance to it by the time they are about four to six years old. This is the body’s very own defense mechanism—because if this does not come into play, the baby might face health concerns because milk is indispensable as far as a baby’s health is concerned.
What are the symptoms?
There are specific symptoms that can easily be discerned in the individual and not all of them show the same symptoms. The different types of these symptoms are:
- There have been cases where the symptoms are visible to the naked eye because itchy, red rashes appear on the skin that is
painful. “Shining” symptoms are apparent too, such as black, shiny eyes.
- Some of the victims suffer from gas and diarrhea, and generally, this happens with adults. Some of them have a bloated stomach once they have warm milk, which is a telling sign of milk allergy.
- Apart from the gastro problem stated in the last point, there are respiratory problems to deal with as well. Milk allergies often cause sneezing and coughing. The nose might get blocked, and whizzing might occur.
- Some patients have been known to complain about hazy eyes and inattention.
What can be the possible solution?
The solution that can be the simplest is avoidance. Avoiding cow milk is the best way to get rid of it, and since you need to replenish yourself in other ways, you can go for the supplements, such as rice milk or goat milk. Soy milk is a solution that works wonders even for kids since soy is a rich source of protein and even vegetarians find it an excellent replacement for animal protein. One has to remember that the problem is due to the production of certain antibodies in the body as a reaction to the allergens found in the cow milk.
Milk allergy is a bit different than milk intolerance because, in the later, the problem is less serious because when the allergy occurs for the first time, the body reacts to it, naturally. But from the second time onwards, these reactions lessen, because the body makes its environment friendlier for these proteins.
For allergies, however, the problem is more complex, and there is no way in which the body can control its antibodies against these allergens. So, one must take the only possible solution, that is switching to other milk forms without putting nourishment at stake for the individual.